WEAPONS CARRY PERMIT INFORMATION
HOURS: MON – THURS 8:00 am – 4:00 pm and FRIDAY 8:00 am – 12:00 pm
Limited appointments are available by calling 478-621-6493
EFFECTIVE MARCH 1, 2013 THE FEE FOR A WEAPONS CARRY PERMIT IS $80.25
(cash or money order only, payable to Probate Court of Bibb County)
- An applicant must be 21 years of age and a resident of Bibb County.
- An applicant who is not a citizen of the United States must provide proof that you are an eligible immigrant or non-resident.
- If you are a person prohibited under federal law from receiving a firearms license, a license may not be issued to you.
- No refunds after submitting application.
- The application process involves a criminal record and mental health record check, including fingerprinting. Noncitizens must also submit to an Immigrant Alien Inquiry.
- If you have any questions about your legal rights or whether the list and descriptions of Prohibitors apply to you, it is suggested that you consult with an attorney. The Probate Court staff cannot advise you on your legal rights, nor may they determine for you whether a prohibition applies to you or your circumstances.
- It is your responsibility to seek the removal of a prohibition from your record or to provide the Court with a final disposition of a matter in your criminal history. It is your responsibility to obtain and submit necessary proof and verification to the Court.
- Licenses cannot be issued until the necessary reports are received by the court.
- Permits are valid for five (5) years.
- Fee for lost or stolen license is $12.00. **A stolen license must be reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency.
- Applications for renewals may be made 3 months before your permit expires.
- THE COURT CANNOT ADVISE YOU WHERE WEAPONS CAN BE CARRIED.
- THE PROBATE COURT STAFF CANNOT ADVISE YOU AS TO WHETHER OR NOT YOU ARE QUALIFIED FOR A WEAPONS CARRY PERMIT.
- THE LIST OF DISQUALIFYING OFFENSES ARE FOUND IN STATE AND FEDERAL LAW.
- FURTHER INFORMATION IS FOUND AT O.C.G.A §§16-11-129(b) and 16-11-129(D)(4) and O.C.G.A. §16-11-131
- INFORMATION ON FEDERAL PROHIBITORS CAN BE FOUND IN THE Gun Control Act of 1968, 18 U.S.C. 921 et seq., INCLUDING AMENDMENTS UNDER THE BRADY HANDGUN VIOLENCE PREVENTION ACT OF 1993.
Georgia Weapons Carry License Application Instructions
APPLICANTS, INCLUDING RENEWALS, MUST PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING:
- A valid Georgia Driver’s License or State-Issued ID reflecting your current address. If a P.O. Box is listed on your driver’s license, you must submit two documents showing your name and physical street address. ( For example a utility bill, lease or voter registration card)
- Applicants born outside of the United States must bring a certified birth certificate or a passport showing the country of birth.
- Naturalized US citizens must provide naturalization certificate and original INS number.
- A completed but unsigned Weapons Carry License Application.
- Effective March 1, 2013 a fee of $80.25 (CASH OR MONEY ORDER ONLY) payable to the Probate Court of Bibb County. (Fee includes fingerprinting charges for record checks).
- No refunds are given after application is submitted.
Weapons Carry Applicant Pack